Media Relations Officer
Rainforest Trust seeks an experienced and enthusiastic Media Relations Officer who is a passionate conservationist to support the successful functioning of its Communications and Outreach Department.
Reporting to the Director of Communications and Outreach, this new position provides primary oversight of Rainforest Trust’s public relations outreach, developing and executing a public relations strategy designed to promote the institution to increase visibility and brand awareness. The position is responsible for evaluating, organizing, managing, contributing and distributing content to achieve outreach goals.
Rainforest Trust is a highly efficient and effective U.S. non-profit founded in 1988 with the mission to purchase and protect threatened rainforests and tropical habitat to save endangered wildlife through community engagement and local partnerships. To date, we have saved more than 17 million acres across 26 countries at 130 project sites with the ambitious goal of protecting 50 million acres by the year 2020. Our great financial efficiency and program effectiveness consistently earn us Charity Navigator’s top 4-star rating.
This is a full-time position in our office in Warrenton, VA.
Duties and responsibilities include:
● Manage all media relations’ activities, including cultivating relationships with the press, writing press releases, pitching stories, writing op-eds, and letters to the editor
● Work collaboratively with Rainforest Trust staff and other public relations professionals to design and launch media strategy that includes proactive media outreach and reactive response tactics across a wide variety of digital and traditional media entities
● Arrange for media interviews with key Rainforest Trust staff
● Collaborate with Outreach team to create, maintain and execute a media outreach editorial calendar
● Provide ongoing media training for Rainforest Trust staff; develop and maintain a pool of Rainforest Trust “experts” to offer to media as interview subjects
● Respond to and manage press inquiries
● Develop and update press list
● Conduct weekly follow up with targeted press members to encourage coverage
● Track all press hits, maintain master list, and outline these outcomes in weekly, monthly and quarterly reports
Create and monitor benchmarks for measuring the impact of media placements
● Contribute to the setting of core messaging to ensure consistency in all outreach materials
● Play a contributing role in the planning and implementation of comprehensive outreach campaigns and initiatives
● Write and edit print and digital content for Rainforest Trust website and related publications
● Perform other duties as assigned or required
The successful candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
● Demonstrate passion for and understanding of Rainforest Trust’s mission, culture and values.
● Public relations experience in non-profit and/or conservation field preferred
● Knowledge of tropical conservation and wildlife is preferred
● Extensive knowledge of the U.S. media and a track record of ideally five (5) years of successful media outreach experience, including high-level placements and strong existing relationships
● Excellent writing and editing skills for a variety of media channels
● Ability to build and maintain strong relationships with relevant media, PR contacts and the online community
● Demonstrated ability to act and effectively respond quickly online or through media contacts to current events related to the organization’s work
● Strong self-organization, planning, and time management skills
● Ability to operate independently and as part of Rainforest Trust’s team-orientated
Communications and Outreach Department
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
• BS / BA university degree in related field (preferred).
The candidate will work in our central office with 30 staff in Warrenton, Virginia, just 45 minutes west of Washington DC.
How To Apply:
Say you found it on Fauquier Now!