GENERAL DEFINITION OF WORK:
Performs responsible paraprofessional work maintaining a variety of accounting records and preparing financial reports; does related work as required. Work is performed under general supervision. Supervision is exercised over subordinate personnel in the absence of manager.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/TYPICAL TASKS:
Preparing and processing accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue, budget action forms and other financial records and files; preparing and maintaining computerized records system.
(These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.)
- Performs duties of the manager during absences.
- Performs a variety of accounting/bookkeeping functions, such as preparing journal entries, calculating data, keying financial data, balancing/reconciling spreadsheets/reports, reconciling accounts and bank statements, researching financial discrepancies, correcting data errors, maintaining financial records, generating reports, or submitting mandatory reports.
- Performs customer service functions; provides information and assistance regarding accounting-related issues; researches problems and initiates problem resolution.
- Prepares, reviews, and distributes a variety of financial reports; tracks/records expenditures, revenues, appropriations and accruals; reviews, creates and maintains general ledger accounts; creates, verifies, balances and distributes financial reports; makes applicable calculations and any necessary corrections; maintains, prints, and balances various State and/or Federal compliance reporting forms.
- Processes documentation pertaining to accounts receivable; receives cash/check revenues for various fees/services; records cash receipts, makes file copies, and balances receipts; prepares cash transmittal forms; researches any checks received without identifying information; balances each month’s revenues; reconciles revenue with reports and corrects any discrepancies.
- Processes documentation pertaining to accounts payable and/or general ledger; reviews documents for accuracy and completeness; verifies availability of funds; enters data into computer to process payment or journal entries; prepares/mails W-9/new vendor set up forms; verifies, prepares, and balances manual checks; processes/balances all voided checks and stop payments and maintains ledgers; prepares, computes, and balances monthly check registers and summary reports; researches discrepancies.
- Assists with the preparation and monitoring of department and/or organization budgets.
- May assist in maintaining financial data relating to capital projects and assets.
- May perform data entry and analysis of information to assist with various State and/or Federal reports, as well as other required reports.
- Works with auditors during annual audit; researches invoices, revenue receipts and report data and retrieves/pulls documentation for auditors as needed.
- Receives, prepares and/or completes various forms, reports, correspondence, cash/check receipts, purchase orders, invoices, statements, general ledger codes, policies, procedures, accounting principles, manuals, directories, reference materials, or other documentation; reviews, completes, processes, forwards or retains as appropriate.
- Advises and trains departments and staff including, but not limited to, software and reconciliations.
- Distributes petty cash; balances and prepares replenishments for the fund.
- May complete variation analyses for assigned funds.
- May assist in completing school activity, fire and rescue, petty cash and other assigned internal reviews.
- Assists in maintaining storage and destruction of records.
- Provides staff support to meetings.
- Performs related tasks as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Thorough knowledge of generally accepted governmental accounting procedures; thorough knowledge of bookkeeping terminology, methods, procedures and equipment; general knowledge of standard office procedures, practices and equipment; ability to understand and follow oral and written directions; ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing; ability to post accounts and to perform mathematical computations with speed and accuracy; ability to establish and follow detailed work procedures; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, vendors and the general public.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to graduation from an accredited community college with major course work in accounting or related field and some experience in business or governmental financial accounting.
This is sedentary work requiring the exertion of up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, and a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to move objects; work requires reaching, fingering, and repetitive motions; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; visual acuity is required for preparing and analyzing written or computer data, operation of machines, determining the accuracy and thoroughness of work, and observing general surroundings and activities; the worker is not subject to adverse environmental conditions.
Possession of an appropriate driver’s license valid in the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Fauquier County Human Resources