Once frustrated with his autism, McCorkindale sees the pitch as a place to mature. “I go to the park to make the best of it,” he says. “I always try to make the best of it.”
It can be a roller coaster. You have good days and bad days. There are times you feel like you’re not going anywhere.
— Casey McCorkindale on living with autism
• Age: 22
• Home: Warrenton
• Condition: High-functioning autism
• Family: Mother, Susan McCorkindale Pearmund; brother, Cuyler, 15; stepfather, Chris Pearmund; father, Stuart McCorkindale, deceased.
• Education: Fauquier High School, 2011.
• Interests: Sports, poetry and guitar.
• Goal: Help others with special needs through sports and other activities.
• Favorite athletes: Lionel Messi and Eli Manning