Will you have visited an ocean beach this year by summer’s end? Vote!
March 28, 2017

County budget includes broadband, no tax hike

File Photo/Lawrence Emerson
The board of supervisors opens its public hearing on the budget March 16.
I’m positive about this budget. I think it strikes a balance.
— Supervisor Chris Granger
As expected, Fauquier’s board of supervisors Tuesday took a major step toward expanding broadband internet service to rural areas of the county.

The board unanimously adopted the county’s fiscal 2018 budget and construction plan, pledging to spend up to $20.6 million during the next five years to build a network that would extend broadband service to about 9,000 homes.

In its first year, the spending plan includes $4.6 million for design, engineering and construction of the broadband network.

“I’m absolutely pumped, to say the least,” board Chairman Rick Gerhardt (Cedar Run District) said in an interview after the 5-0 budget vote.

But, Mr. Gerhardt — the board’s biggest broadband champion — added: “I can’t emphasize this enough, if there’s not a strong business plan to support it, we’re not going to spend it.”

Moments before the vote, Supervisor Chris Butler (Lee) conveyed his and constituents’ concerns about government spending on “wants” versus “needs.”

Mr. Butler favors investing in infrastructure, including broadband, to strengthen the local economy and addressing compensation issues to slow the turnover of county government employees. He applauded the board’s recent decision to increase starting salaries for sheriff’s deputies.

“I’m positive about this budget,” Supervisor Chris Granger (Center) said. “I think it strikes a balance.”

But, it still contains “big unanswered questions,” added Mr. Granger, referring to the supervisors’ and the school board’s failure to agree on a plan to address the aging Warrenton and Taylor middle schools.

The capital plan includes $33 million as a “placeholder” for the middle school project. He wants to resolve the issue within six months, the Center District supervisor said.

Mr. Granger also believes the county should build a new Warrenton library, which would cost $14.6 million.

Fiscal 2018’s capital construction plan contains no funding for a central library, but the following year allocates about $9 million for the project.

Mr. Granger objects to the suggestion that addressing the middle school situation and building a new library largely would benefit Center District at the expense of other county residents.

“I want to see what’s good for the whole county,” he said.

Fauquier’s $311-million budget requires no increase in the real estate tax rate, $1.039 per $100 assessed value. The new fiscal year starts July 1.

The budget includes nine new, full-time government positions:

• A broadband project manager.

• A parks and recreation supervisor for the Central Sports Complex, scheduled to open just east of Warrenton in 2018.

• A Fauquier fire and rescue department captain, who would oversee the Upperville Volunteer Fire Co. By spring, the company will give up its charter and transfer all of its assets — real estate and equipment — to the county. That will mark the first time a Fauquier volunteer fire and rescue company will turn over its operation to county government.

• Four sheriff’s patrol deputies.

• Two commissioner of revenue office staffers.

Under the budget, county government spending will increase by $5.4 million, up 3.1 percent from this year.

The school system will receive almost $2 million more in local money.

Neither county government nor school system employees will get raises in the new fiscal year.

The county’s 2018 capital improvements plan includes:

• A $3-million “placeholder” related to plans to replace Warrenton and Taylor Middle schools or renovate one of those buildings. The supervisors and the school board remain at odds over how to address the matter.

• $3 million for Midland Service District water and sewer improvements.

• $2.7 million for improvements to the Opal Service District water system.

• $2.1 million for renovations that could result in relocating Fauquier’s Community Development Department from the Warren Green Building and the third floor of the county courthouse to the John Marshall Building at 14 Main St.

Under that scenario, Fauquier’s Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court would move from the John Marshall Building to the county courthouse’s third floor.

• $1.5 million for the planned central sports complex on Old Auburn Road just east of Warrenton.

• $400,000 to help open public access to the Rappahannock River at Remington.

Funding requests for the five-year construction plan total $254.3 million.

Using fiscal 2017 money, the supervisors Tuesday also agreed to give the financially strapped Boys & Girls Club of Fauquier $30,000 for operating expenses.

2018 Fauquier Budget by Fauquier Now on Scribd

Member comments
CCOF · April 7, 2017 at 1:30 pm
What it boils down to in the end is that if one feels the elected officials are not operating in the best interests of the citizens of Fauquier County then then as citizens of Fauquier they have the right to choose come next election as to whom they believe can serve the county better for it is obvious in my talking with other citizens as well as reading comments left attached to numerous articles that there are some very hard working and respected members on the board but there also happens to be one that sits very low on people's list and has been referred to in past articles as "Lord" and as being one to throw "Tantrums" and try to "threaten" I'll do this if you don't do that to get his way . The more I enlighten myself and talk to and learn from others in this county I am both glad to know that it's no secret as to this man's lack of integrity but also that it can be resolved come election time.
BJ · April 5, 2017 at 8:41 pm
Rick Gerhardt wants a bigger airport but those of us that live around the airport south of town hear enough air traffic as it is, please no more. Already the traffic on the roads around here has exploded with the new homes and people using them as short cuts from Route 28. These roads aren't made for this amount of traffic especially the huge tractor trailers, and are already crumbling along the edges. Speed limits are 45 mph in places yet that is NOT the speed the vehicles are traveling. It is taking your life in your hands leaving the driveway, and that is coming from a non-snowflake who raced professionally. Blaine Johnson
nonewtaxes · April 3, 2017 at 12:14 am
Why does the GOP promote conditions that create global warming?

To melt snowflakes.
Jim Griffin · April 2, 2017 at 6:35 pm
Truth is an excellent defense and never character assasination. Leftist? Without data? You must be replying to another commenter.

Market-adjusted prices bring us up to date. If you understand it, you don't press that particular point, which you continually did. Is Dr. Jeck selling us bloated budgets? If you think so, which meetings did you attend to work on the school budget?

No duty here to sell you an improved airport. In many ways, I could not care less, but unlike you I am appreciative for the Board of Supervisors and its judgment exercised over countless meetings and budget plans. As a result, I endeavor to understand their reasoning, which has been my point from the start: Apply reason, context, perspective. In this case I see where they are going and trust their judgment. If ever they are going to improve our county's airport, they should do it now with the matching grant/gift money. And, yes, these brief explanations that I have given are precisely what I sought from the original poster: Explanations. Reason. Perspective.

Without understanding the nature of the comment (first-hand? hearsay? etc), the identity of the commenter, their experience or reasoning, it is difficult if not impossible to engage in civil dialogue. This exchange here in this message thread is proof. You actually took someone asking under their own name if accusations are first-hand to insisting that unless they produced lists of names of specific companies for anonymous commenters they weren't doing what they asked others to do. You are unreal, NNT, a marvel of sophistry.

Even when they bring us no take hike, no new taxes, you, NoNewTaxes, aren't satisfied. Our tax burden is below the Virginia average and appropriate by comparison to neighboring counties (and you claim I bring no data -- without responding to any that I do bring) and still you complain.
nonewtaxes · April 2, 2017 at 6:14 pm
Dear JG,

Please try to follow the forum rules. You called me ignorant. I believe that is a breach of conduct but for a leftist without data supporting your opinions you simply choose to discount the data and go to character assassination. Swing and a miss.

Please reread my comment with regards to cost of education. I do qualify the comment with the condition "inflation adjusted". You should try to learn what "inflation adjusted" means and how it applies to time series data.

Still waiting for you to explain to me the benefits of the airport to the average citizen. Please JG help me to be less ignorant and dense. Enlighten me.

Jim Griffin · April 2, 2017 at 2:40 pm
NNT:

I've provided evidence aplenty to none from you or INRS. I chose to provide relative tax rates for counties around Fauquier. I'll add this: The average Virginia county tax rate equals .74% of the property value -- Fauquier is below that with .7%. We do well and pay below-average rates for our property taxes.

That's it for the research. It is not my burden to persuade or convince you.

I did not ask INRS for extensive lists nor detailed information. I asked for even a smidgen beyond his conclusionary remarks. Again, you exaggerate, just as you call those with whom you disagree "tax enthusiasts," asserting our blind faith in all experts when we say we trust our educators. Where I asked, for example, to discover INRS' source of info -- direct/first-hand or reports in the paper -- you respond that unless I answer your detailed questions I'm not doing what I asked INRS to do. Hogwash. You know better, but still you persist.

Further, NNT, it costs more to educate now than it did 50 years ago because it costs more to live than it did 50 years ago. That's a function of the market for goods and services. The market for teachers' salaries is higher accordingly, as are the wages for those who build, maintain and operate school systems, and all the supplies they need.

Do you propose paying police and fire 1960 budgeted wages and equipment? Of course not.

You cannot possibly be so dense as you pretend, but there it is -- you openly wondering why it costs more to run the schools now than it did in 1960. You are ignorant to push such a question over and over.

That's the quality of dialogue we sometimes get from anonymous comment. When it simply doesn't matter how stupid you sound, you'll say anything, and that describes today's post of yours. Had it come yesterday I'd've chalked it up to April Fools.
nonewtaxes · April 2, 2017 at 10:55 am
Dear JG,
"Please, support your accusations with evidence." This is a quote from your first response to INRS. I'm just asking you to hold yourself up to the same standard.

With regards to usage fees at the airport. Show me the cash flow projections and the payback period for taxpayer money expended at the airport. Show me the $$ benefit per average taxpayer of funding the airport. If usage fees where adequate to cover the cost of operations and provide for a sinking fund for future capital improvements why would the airport need county support? Maybe the airport should raise hanger rents before the county raises taxes.

Please provide a list of companies that do business in Fauquier County because of the airport. Be sure to include in that list the economic goods that county receives and how those goods reach the average taxpayer. Also, please provide a list of companies that refuse to do business in the county because the airport is inadequate. Remember Jim, I'm only asking you to do what you requested of INRS - support your claim that the airport is good for the average taxpayer and not just for that .06% of taxpayers.

Please explain to me why teaching science today cost more than it did 50 years ago - on an inflation adjusted basis. I do not understand why its different and you seem to imply that the difference is obvious. Please Jim, help me. Explain to me why it costs more today to teach little Johnny that water can exist as a liquid, a solid, and a gas.

"NNT, dialogue is good, but why must you extend others' comments to extinguish them, pretending we say things we do not?" Maybe my education aint to good. I doesnt no what this meens? PLease explain.
Jim Griffin · April 1, 2017 at 9:13 am
NNT:

Again, you exaggerate and distort in pursuit of discourse. It's a fail.

As regards broadband, no, I do not support moving forward without a proper plan. Neither does the Board of Supervisors. They plan to spend the money if and when they are presented with a business plan acceptable to them. I support that position.

Airport: I am not a pilot, I do not own a plane, nor have I ever been a passenger at our airport. Nonetheless, I am open-minded to expending public funds on its improvement. Not only can the money be recovered through usage fees, but the presence of an improved airport may well be the deciding factor in attracting business to our county, which serves the general welfare in attracting jobs and tax revenue. Safety is also a factor: If we are to have an airport at all we should make it as safe as possible.

Also with regards to the airport, IIRC a local couple offered more than half a million dollars towards construction, a one-time offer that seems useful in pursuit of our goals.

NNT, dialogue is good, but why must you extend others' comments to extinguish them, pretending we say things we do not? You put words in the mouths of your strawmen as you pursue them. Stick with the issues at hand, not your imagination of them, which seemingly cannot understand that education costs 50 years ago are dramatically different from today.
nonewtaxes · March 31, 2017 at 11:33 pm
Dear Demosthenes,
I guess I can take a quick 5 minutes to scan the internet and link to some information about US students vs students in other developed countries but your comment "We do struggle against students in other countries..." means you know that its true.

Why would students today be less capable of learning then students 50 years ago? The brain hasn't changed has it? And if evolution is a sound theory shouldn't any change for the better?

I chose math as an example because its probably the least changed or more consistent subject over time. I could have easily asked why is more expensive to teach English now then 50 years ago? Surely every student was taught English. And even for math I could have used, as an example, simple addition. Why does it cost more to teach addition now then it did 50 years ago?

I'm not being nostalgic. I'm using time series data to ask the question why does it cost more to teach addition today them it did 50 years ago? The subject matter is the same (1 + 1 = 2). It has been the same ever since it existed.

Demosthenes · March 31, 2017 at 8:25 pm
NNT:

You have twice now claimed that students today are "at the bottom of the scale." Proof on that? We do struggle against students in other countries today, but are students today capable of less than their counterparts were 40 or 50 years ago?

As for teaching algebra, I admit that the subject might not have changed all that much. Despite that, in my parent's generation a lot of kids didn't actually learn algebra (my own parents included). But that was okay, since there were plenty of jobs at the local plant.

I don't know what jobs will exist in the future for a kid who is 8 years old right now, but I bet that trying to get most kids to learn algebra is a better strategy than just teaching math skills to those who learn it easily.

It is easy and comfortable to look back on the past with nostalgia and say that things were so much better back then. It is more true, but also more complicated, to recognize that the present and future marks a different world than the one that we experienced when we were young.

I pity the next generation. For that, I will pay my taxes without too much complaint in hopes that we create a society that is at least as successful as it has been in the past.
nonewtaxes · March 31, 2017 at 8:07 pm
Dear JG
Re Broadband: So you're for Broadbandcare in Fauquier though you don't know exactly what it is you are buying? You don't know if it a 10/1 or 25/5 system. You don't know if the data will be capped or not. I guess we'll just have to buy it to know what we're getting. Sounds a lot like Obamacare. Still waiting for my $2500 savings.

Re Airport: What is your understanding based on? If its a capital investment it should have a cash flow schedule associated with it. It shouldn't go forward without one. Its negligent to invest in a project without knowing whether or not its expected to be profitable. It lacks due diligence. At this point all you might reasonably know is that the county spent $5m on airport updates to please the .06% of the county's population that own airplanes. Here I thought that governments are charged with promoting the general welfare not special interests. Maybe I was failed by my public education. Maybe I failed it.
nonewtaxes · March 31, 2017 at 7:55 pm
Demosthenes,

I disagree that education has to be more expensive now than it was 50 years ago. Explain to me why it costs more to teach algebra today then it did 50 years ago. The math is still the same is it not?

On a macro scale, do you reasonably expect me to believe that paying at the top end of the scale for education and getting results at the bottom end of the scale is a good deal?
Demosthenes · March 31, 2017 at 7:07 pm
NNT:

When it comes to education please consider that we are operating in different times.

Based on what you wrote, you went to school decades ago. At that time the United States had a strong manufacturing sector and we feared little from international competition.

Students today don't have the same expectations of a solid job with relatively low skills that previous generations had. Students today are finding themselves in competition with people spread across the globe and even automated in some cases.

Can we reasonably expect the education system that created successes in the 1950s or 60s to produce success in the 21st century? I would imagine it is going to take far more than the addition of a few staff members to keep our society competitive with the rest of the world. While that might mean that education costs more than it used to, we obviously need an approach that invests more in our youth than we needed to half a century ago.
Jim Griffin · March 31, 2017 at 12:44 pm
NNT:

I want to hear more -- not less -- from INRS, clearly angry with local govt (and yet INRS says they were a vol firefighter in a neighboring county, now moved to Fauquier). Is he/she personally witnessing wrongs with which they are charging our local officials? How long has INRS lived in Fauquier County? What does INRS do? Does INRS participate in local govt? Are these charges based on experience or reading articles and opinion pieces?

I ask for a reason: We subject our local govt officials and supervisors to great personal scrutiny. We know them, their background, we see them at the store and about town. We are not similarly familiar with anonymous commenters, their background, the integrity behind the remarks, and yet these same unknown commenters make all manner of serious allegations against those we do know -- INRS going so far as to claim they waste time, "Content to just ride around in their BMW's and Audis to and from their meetings and retreats."

"A new broom sweeps the cleanest," writes INRS. How do we know his is a new broom? Or his track record for cleaning? We cannot so much as look up his or her name.

Broadband: I mention perceived benefit because voter sentiment is the key to political action in representative democracy. No substitution of judgment here, and, no, I have no unique access to numbers that should be in a business plan that to my knowledge does not yet exist.

Airport: Not a pilot. There are about 150 planes over there. My understanding is that a better runway, terminal building and facilities will attract business to Fauquier County (and benefit its citizens with jobs and tax revenue).

Experts: Let's be clear, I referenced experts with regards to education, and in this case I refer specifically to educators, and more specifically those led by our fine, award-winning Superintendent Dr. David Jeck. I have no blind faith in Jeck or those he directs, but I've met him and taken his measure and have good reason to put faith in his decisions.

You say I have full faith and blind devotion to experts. Must you exaggerate and distort? I have no such thing, nor have I written anything of the sort. I am a critical customer whether public or private, but when it comes to education I bet on the trainer/jockey and not the horse. And I see the results first-hand, our son is receiving a fine education at Marshall Middle (and at Coleman before it).
nonewtaxes · March 31, 2017 at 12:08 pm
Dear JG,
I took it as put up or shut up. You did request from him evidence to support his claims - to share his knowledge. I think he took it the same way considering his response but that's a matter of opinion.

Re: Broadband - Perceived benefit is one thing, math is another. This project is being put forth as a profit generating capital improvement project. I'm just asking to see the numbers. Do you have them? The basics of capital budgeting is to rank opportunities by some measurable criteria such as NPV or IRR. Show me the NPV.

How did I, as an average citizen, benefit from the airport today? It's irrelevant that there was a large private donation. Is the airport a benefit to the average citizen or just to a very small minority of citizens? Show me the numbers.

Expert opinions: the earth is flat, the earth is the center of the universe and if you say different we'll burn you at the stake, tulips are very valuable, everything is objective, tighten the money supply during the Great Depression, Hitler is not a problem, If you like your Dr you can keep her, Brexit wont happen, Trump won't be President. Is the current US economy doing good or doing bad?

You can keep you full faith and blind devotion to experts. I'll just keep thinking for myself.

I'm concerned that expert opinion has me paying more for less.

Jim Griffin · March 31, 2017 at 9:20 am
NNT:

Not true: There is not even a hint of put up or shut up. I want to hear his opinion and explore its foundations. INRS may be correct, but without evidence or understanding of INRS, it is difficult if not impossible to evaluate.

As regards broadband, surveys show taxpayers perceive a benefit, want such an effort. This is further evidenced by feedback received directly by the Board of Supervisors. Neither have they authorized spending money -- they made it conditional on an acceptable plan.

I have little or no use for an airport, but I do accept that supervisors and county officials have heard from businesses that this would be a favorable factor in locating their business in Fauquier. In addition, there was a large donation towards airport improvement.

As regards your education example, you can second-guess the professionals we employ, or you can trust them. I trust them. You don't.

No put up or shut up here. I definitely did not ask anyone to shut up. In fact, I want to hear more: Who are you? Where do you live? What do you do? What is your experience? Which programs do you favor? Which do you oppose? Why? And so on.

Property tax rates around and in Fauquier reflect favorably upon Fauquier. We pay .7% of the median value of our property (far below Loudoun and Prince William, near and over 1% -- we are on par with Stafford County in this regard) and we pay 2.76% of our average annual income in property taxes, substantially below the above comparisons and way below Rappahannock's 2.88% -- the average of 2.71% in these eight counties roughly matches Fauquier.

I think we're getting a good deal, but I am open minded to discourse. In fact, I want more of it, more perspectives, more reason, more evidence, more point by point and less conclusionary statements.
nonewtaxes · March 31, 2017 at 9:05 am
Dear JG/Demo,

When INRS expresses concern about taxes and the budget you tell him to put up or shut. You tell him to present evidence that taxes are too high or that the budget is too big.

All I ask of you is to do the same. Show me the numbers that give evidence that both spending for the airport or Broadbandcare provide a benefit to the taxpayer.

Consider this: the elementary school I went to was grades k-6 and one or two of those grades had two classes. Lets assume that there were ten classes in all. For each of these classes there was one teacher. That school provided an education for ten classes with ten teaches and one janitor. The 6th grade teacher doubled as the principal.

The elementary school where my children went in Fauquier County was grades k-5. Some of those grades had two classes so lets assume ten classroom just like the school I went to. However, the school in Fauquier County had a principal, an assistant principal, 2 office staff, a nurse, a counselor, and art teacher, and a librarian. Why does it take 80% more staff to educate children now vs 50 years ago? And why, with this increase in staff, has the effectiveness of education decreased?
Jim Griffin · March 31, 2017 at 7:36 am
NNT:

You're a sniper too. We have no idea of your perspective or context because you shoot from an anonymous perch. And you bring snide comment, asserting some among us must be a "tax enthusiast."

Fauquier taxes are a good deal relative to surrounding counties. I worked up some numbers on that, but you don't deserve them, sniping and side as you are.

The airport is intended to attract business to Fauquier to the benefit of all its citizens. Indeed, two of them donated a substantial amount of money to the effort.

We've not spent $20 million on broadband, nor do we intend to spend $20 million this year, and the board has made clear nothing at all will be spent on broadband until a business plan is put forward that makes sense.

As with the library, broadband is about access to knowledge, art, culture and the knowledge that makes citizenship meaningful. As with the schools, it educates and helps our citizens access all manner of important information related to health, civics -- hey, even you, NNT. Whomever you are.
Demosthenes · March 31, 2017 at 6:29 am
NNT:

No one is a "tax enthusiast" but it is worth noting when our government does alright.

I wasn't writing to "justify" last year's spending increases. Our BOS justified that to the public last year, though feel free to disagree with them as you like.

For your questions about airports and broadband, just switch the two around. You asked how people benefit from the airport and how broadband will pay for itself. The reality is that the airport will pay for itself and broadband helps a large number of residents. I believe both of those are reasonable choices for our BOS to make, even though I won't directly use the airport or the new broadband system.

Remember also that the airport and broadband are small fish. Even if that sort of spending were cut from the budget, residents would see no real tax savings because the majority of their tax bill goes to pay for schools, police, and emergency personnel.
nonewtaxes · March 31, 2017 at 12:30 am
Dear Tax Enthusiast,

Please justify last year's 4% tax increase versus an inflation rate of 1.6%

Is it not the responsibility of a financial manager, or the BOS, to allocate capital in a manner that generates the greatest returns?

Please explain to me how a better airport helps the majority of the taxpayers of the county.

Please explain to me how the county will recover the $2o million expended on broadband.

Remember, no sniping. Show me the numbers.

Help me to understand.

Thanks,
NNT

Jim Griffin · March 30, 2017 at 9:15 am
No one paying attention could've expected tax cuts. None should be surprised or frustrated by their absence. Fauquier is building a better airport, launching a broadband initiative, staying even with our schools, maintaining an aquatic center, replacing the library, maintaining our emergency services (police, fire, rescue) and much more.

Argue with any or all of these initiatives, that's fine, but maintaining the current tax rates is something close to a miracle under these circumstances, which include inflation. Disagree? Ready to hear it, especially point by point as regards the spending items, but finding an anonymous perch and firing ad hominem attacks crosses the line.

It is sniping. It comes from points unknown (anonymous), intends damage, attacks supervisors personally, alleging ignorance, bad motives, says they act against the interests of the governed.
Demosthenes · March 30, 2017 at 6:11 am
To those couple of posters who believe it is our supervisor's duty to deliver tax cuts, which government services are you willing to defund in order to make that happen? Police? Emergency services? The schools? Those are the big items in the budget, and you can't deliver tax cuts without cutting sharply into those.

Also remember that in a year like this one where taxes remain the same, but inflation continues to exist, the real value of the dollars that you are paying in county taxes has actually gone down. Those dollars have less purchasing power in 2017 than they had in 2016. The county is making ends meet with less real purchasing power, and you are actually giving up less purchasing power to the government this year. If you understand real versus nominal values, that is indeed a tax cut this year.
BJ · March 29, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Mr. Griffin, I admire your attempt to get to the bottom of INRS's comments, yet personally I think that is more trickle down "fake" news that is coming straight from the leader of the free world, or should I say "former" Did I actually hear that that title has now been bestowed on Ms. Merkle of Germany? Wow!
citizen observer · March 29, 2017 at 9:41 am
I agree with Supervisor Butler that we should be looking into compensation for county and school employees.

Looks like we are funding a lot of pet projects and not giving them a raise. Been to the grocery store lately? The price of everything is rising and they need to eat too.

Going to be hard to retain good employees if something isn't done. Maybe that's why projects aren't being managed correctly, no one really cares.
Jim Griffin · March 29, 2017 at 9:34 am
You chose this time and place and you chose to leave us without a clue to your identity and thus we have no context for your remarks, which allege lack of information and time wasting

So I ask: Are you involved? Is there evidence to support your accusations? Is there reason to apply to your comments? I did not question your right to comment: Quite the contrary! I sought further comment. Context. Evidence. Reason.

In response, you offer none of these, and switch to ALL CAPS as if you are now shouting. This is an odd response to someone seeking further "knowledge" from you, asking if you are close to the process, if you have information to share and so forth.

I gave you nothing but respect, but I am now beginning to question that because you refuse to in any way place your remarks in context or add proof or reason to them. You allege these supervisors waste time, lack knowledge and are acting against the best interests of those who elected them. I said tell us more and this is what we get from you.
ITSNOTROCKETSCIENCE · March 29, 2017 at 9:23 am
NO ONE HERE IS THE ENEMY, NO ONE IS SNIPING, PEOPLE ARE FRUSTRATED AND RIGHTFULLY SO, YOU POST WHAT YOU WANT AND EVERYONE ELSE POSTS WHAT THEY WANT, YOU MAY OR MAYNOT LIKE WHAT YOU READ FROM OTHERS, AS OTHERS MAY OR MAYNOT LIKE WHAT THEY READY FROM YOU, TO EACH HIS OWN, AND THERE IS A TIME AND A PLACE FOR EVERYTHING, AND THIS IS NEITHER
Jim Griffin · March 29, 2017 at 9:15 am
INRS:

I did not question your right to an opinion. Not once. I asked you, instead, to share what you know, what you see and what you hear -- aka evidence -- such that others including myself can weigh your allegations.

Sniping is inappropriate in this context. Our supervisors are not the enemy. We all deserve to share perspective and context, which is sorely lacking in your anonymous comment that offered not a single shred of proof or reason but instead was pure invective.

Good day, indeed.
ITSNOTROCKETSCIENCE · March 29, 2017 at 8:58 am
Mr Griffin,

As anyone else, I have the right to an opinion, know what I know, see what I see, hear what I hear, this is a small town and not much stays out of the public forum, you have your thoughts the same as myself and any and everyone else that has posted comments on here in the past or will in the future. Good day to you Sir.
Jim Griffin · March 29, 2017 at 8:45 am
Curious, Itsnotrocketscience, are you involved with the process? Or are you sniping from afar?

It appears to me this is a reasonable attempt to balance competing interests, an exercise performed by well-intended elected servants after (and during) extensive debate and discussion about the public interest.

Your comment suggests -- without proof -- our elected supervisors lack knowledge and act against the interests of those who elected them, wasting their own time with meetings and retreats.

I see nothing of the sort, but you may have some inside knowledge you've not shared. Is that so? Or are you simply griping because there is no tax cut? Please, support your accusations with evidence.
ITSNOTROCKETSCIENCE · March 29, 2017 at 8:26 am
Typical MOA for such, use not increasing taxes to pat yourself on the back instead of any tax cuts, and the usual inability of the powers at be to resolve much of anything without countless meetings and retreats and when they do reach resolutions , they often are not in the best interests of the taxpayers, maybe once the Supervisor gets his new library built he can visit it often, spend some time reading in it, and then possibly use that new found knowledge to actually "supervise" to a greater level.....

just a thought
Friday, July 21
Ten citizens speak at public hearing before commission sends Marshall proposal to board of supervisors for final vote
Friday, July 21
Fauquier’s median monthly rent, cost of new radar for deputies, paying for Brentmoor’s upkeep, dog park waste collection bags
Thursday, July 20
When his busy family life and work schedule allow, Sumerduck’s John Utz likes to roller skate, fish and collect stamps.