It’s going to be a great show.
— John F. Carroll, defense attorney
Duse Murder Trial
• What: July 26, 2017, murder in parking lot of CVS pharmacy at 510 Blackwell Road, Warrenton.
• Victim: CVS Manager Alex Olsen, 64, of Culpeper County.
• Court: Fauquier County Circuit.
• Defendant: Bernard C. Duse Jr., 77, of Alexandria.
• Schedule: Five-day trial will begin at 9:30 a.m. Monday, July 30.
• Penalty: If convicted of both charges, Mr. Duse could be sentenced to life in prison for murder and a maximum three years for the felony weapon charge.
• Fast facts: At about 10:15 p.m. last July 26, Mr. Olsen — the store manager — left the CVS to put trash in a dumpster at the back of the property. At close range, Mr. Duse allegedly shot his boss in the back of the head. Mr. Olsen collapsed to the ground, face up. At close range, the defendant then allegedly shot him in the face. Mr. Duse at the time worked as the store’s assistant manager.
• Prosecutors: Commonwealth’s Attorney James P. Fisher; Deputy Commonwealth’s Attorney Jamey Cook; Senior Commonwealth’s Attorney Abigail Owens.
• Defense lawyers: John F. Carroll and Colleen Sweeney of Fairfax County.
• Judge: Herman A. Whisenant Jr.
• Jury: 9 men and 5 women, including 2 alternates, selected Monday morning.