At that time, it was a huge amount of money. It was a derelict building. Had no plumbing. No heating or cooling. The water piping couldn’t be used. People thought I was an idiot because I bought a building on Main Street.
— Walter Story
• Age: 76.
• Home: Old Town Warrenton.
• Family: Wife, Valerie; daughters Diana (business teacher at Fauquier High School) and Connie; two grandsons.
• Work: Owner, The Story Group Inc., 1990-2012; Artery Organization, 1973-86; construction worker, Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel, 1960-62.
• Education: Bachelor’s degree, building construction, Virginia Tech, 1967; Chowan University, N.C. 1957-59; Franklin High School, 1957.
• Hobbies: Vegetable gardening.
• Warrenton property: 19 Culpeper St., purchased Aug. 2016; 13-17 Culpeper St., purchased May 1998; 32-34 Main St., purchased March 1995.