Will you fill out a bracket for the NCAA Men’s Basketball Tournament? Vote!
March 8, 2019

Upperville man sentenced for illegal wildlife artifacts

Between 2014 and 2018, Keith Foster imported at least 35 separate shipments of merchandise — some of which contained wildlife and wildlife parts — for resale at The Outpost, his former shop in Middleburg.
ALEXANDRIA — An Upperville man Friday received a 30-day in federal prison sentence and one year of supervised release for selling endangered species and other wildlife parts illegally imported into the United States.

Keith R. Foster, 60, a golf course architect who also operated a store in Middleburg known as “The Outpost,” pleaded guilty in December in U.S. District Court.

Between 2014 and 2018, Mr. Foster imported at least 35 separate shipments of merchandise — some of which contained wildlife and wildlife parts — for resale at the Outpost. He failed to declare any of the wildlife in those shipments to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service upon import, as required by law.

“He caused many pieces to be labeled in a manner that obscured their true nature,” said Joshua Stueve, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office that prosecuted the case. “Foster then sold at his store the wildlife pieces that he illegally imported.”

Over five years, Mr. Foster sold nearly $400,000 worth of items that constituted or contained parts of endangered species and other wildlife that he illegally imported into the United States, according to federal authorities. His inventory included Endangered Species Act items such as sawfish blades, crocodile skin bags, wallets and flasks, and handicrafts made of sea turtle shell.

In a telephone call with a customer in January 2017, Mr. Foster admitted that he should not be importing sawfish blades.

“Rest assured, I’m gonna bring more in, ’cause I’m the only fool in the States that probably wants to risk it,” he said in a recorded telephone call.

In March and April 2017, Mr. Foster imported more than 100 undeclared wildlife items, including items protected by the Endangered Species Act and the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species, such as sea turtle shell, sawfish blades, crocodile skin bags, coral, and mounted birds of prey. CITES is an international treaty that provides protection to fish, wildlife and plant populations that are or could be harmed as a result of trade and restricts the international trade and transport of species that are threatened with extinction.

Mr. Foster on April 12, 2017, showed a customer numerous wildlife pieces for sale. He told the customer about smuggling wildlife, about lacking the proper CITES permits to purchase, export, and later import some protected wildlife, and about the dangers of being caught by United States Customs.

The “customer” — an undercover U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service agent — then purchased numerous wildlife items including sawfish blades, a mounted barn owl and a jar made from sea turtle shell, all of which were previously smuggled by The Outpost

A federal judge in December ordered Mr. Foster to perform community service and forfeit scores of individual pieces of wildlife and wildlife parts, along with $275,000.
Member comments
JohnnyD · March 13, 2019 at 1:53 pm
Tony Bentley- I am sorry. I never said you were a communist. That was another spin job by the Fauquier Now Police Chief. I was being sarcastic that someone was making a non-political article into a political bashing. The "they" I was referring to is the new Democrat Party, not you personally.

Trump has plenty of egotistical issues in his past. He probably should have just continued his billionaire lifestyle and funded politicians for his agenda, like so many others are doing. His tweets have certainly lowered the prestige of the Presidency.

I was a proud democrat for all my life until around 2010. After voting for Obama I began to see strange things happening. Particularly when the bailout money we gave him for "shovel ready jobs" went everywhere else around the world. George Soros's name started coming up and I started looking into him. That is when I realized the new democratic party was not the one I had been proud of.

I am definitely not pro New World Order. My concern is while everyone is busy slamming Trump at every chance, Soros is busy buying his vision of what America should be. An open border, totally socialist country with a police state. If it sort of sounds similar to Pelosi and Schumer's sudden change, just follow the money trail...

No, he was not quoted in Newsweek as I mistakenly said, but if you read many of the books and articles about him he has gotten rich causing chaos in many countries. In 1998 Sixty Minutes compared Soros to Trump and he admitted helping his stepfather steal stuff from fellow jews on their way to concentration camps.

Soros has even moved all his trading accounts offshore to the Netherland Antilles so he doesn't have to pay US taxes or succumb to SEC regulations. I won't be surprised to see him cause a financial collapse on Wall Street before the next election to further his agenda. If all his misdoings got half the media coverage as Trump this country would not be in its current state.

If the US wants to remain a free, constitutional republic; people need to become aware of ALL that is happening. Otherwise welcome to a government that assures the rich stay rich, and the rest of us try to survive.
Tony Bentley · March 12, 2019 at 6:53 pm
Whew, all I said was that Trump stinks, physically I have no idea, but morally that's been proven time after time.

I'm not a communist, though IMHO I think that JohnnyD and Observer might be closet conspiracy propagandists for the new world order and gun toting anarchists.
Jim Griffin · March 12, 2019 at 5:16 pm
More BS. Not a single quote even close to your claim.

Just like the BS about me, which you started when you first came here. It was false then, it is false now, just like all your other falsehoods -- deliberate and deceitful.

It isn't about liberal spin. It isn't about CNN/MSNBC. It is about deliberate falsehoods, fake news, completely fabricated BS that you write in these pages. Admittedly so.

I call 'em as I see 'em. I favor gun rights. I am against conservation easements. I like the Sheriff and Michael Webert -- though I sometimes disagree with them. I don't like Trump, but did not vote for Clinton -- though I am happy that at the outset Trump killed the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal. I like the superintendent of schools, but I've never so much as shared a meal with him -- he's educating our son the best he can. I am neither a Democrat nor a Republican. I tend to support our duly-elected local leaders, but am willing to *honestly* disagree where I do.

BTW -- I often agree with people here, especially when they disagree with you, which is quite often, indeed. When you refer to them as bought, communist and in league with those bent on the destruction of America, I raise my voice. When you falsify evidence, I speak up.

Otherwise, rant all you want. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, just not their own set of facts, especially when the kids in school are reading.
JohnnyD · March 12, 2019 at 4:04 pm
Ho hum... here is yet another site:

“The main obstacle to a stable and just world order,” Soros has declared, “is the United States.” Ergo, that constitutional republic must be weakened and its allies degraded. The Sorosian world order—one of open borders and global governance, antithetical to the ideals and experience of the West—could then assume command.

I'm sure you find something wrong with this site too. I forgot that only CNN and MSNBC provide reliable news in your world.

Perhaps you recall that Trump is a big supporter and friend of Bill Clinton. Maybe he is just simply doing his old buddy a favor by not causing him a lot of embarrassment.

People that have left this site say they knew they got to you when you get start name jabbing. Thanks for the confirmation! For some reason you rarely agree with anyone on this site and only respond to non-liberal posts. That is certainly your choice and I hope your buddy the editor is happy you enjoy sending people to another site for local news; where they don't have people who, for whatever reason, try to spin about every story into a Trump bashing.

Cheers, John Delancey
Jim Griffin · March 12, 2019 at 3:20 pm
JohnnyD:

Seriously, now you link to a Russian web site? And you don't even try to defend the fake news Soros "quote", other than to claim Snopes is left-wing (another falsehood)?

OK, let's try this. You wrote that Soros said it in Newsweek in 1979. Prove it.

You also falsely claimed Mr. Foster the recipient of both a conviction (didn't happen) and a light sentence from a federal judge, who it turns out was affirming a plea agreement that nonetheless sent him to prison and paying six-figure restitution in addition to waiving a trial and cooperating.

Your comments are outrageous, fabricated, cut and paste falsehoods. Where they are original they malign another member of community with false charges of being bought and working for Communists bent on "the destruction of this country."

In support of this, you offer a Russian web site, weeks after POTUS -- the guy you defend -- stood with a dyed-in-the-wool communist, the head of the North Korean state, referring to him as a good friend and someone to trust as regards the controversial death of Otto Warmbier.

Who is befriending the communists, JohnnyD?

Again, JD, whose administration is now passing on investigating and prosecuting the Clintons? He invited her to the inauguration, and here's how The New York Times covered it:

"the Clintons attended a luncheon in the Capitol, where the new president said he was “very, very honored” that the former first couple was there and asked them to stand for a round of applause. The Clintons, who sat at a well-positioned table with Mr. Trump’s daughter Tiffany, and others close to the new president, rose from their seats with tight grins. "There’s nothing more I can say because I have a lot of respect for those two people, so thank you all for being here,” Mr. Trump said.

Lock her up, indeed!

You should be ashamed of the fake news you toss around so cavalierly. It leaves a stain. Last time you admitted you did it deliberately; Now you offer no defense other than Russians said he said something bad might happen in the US (and not at his direction). Far cry from he said "his life's goal was to bring down the US."

Uh-huh. Whatever, JohnnyD. Or whatever your name is.
JohnnyD · March 12, 2019 at 2:13 pm
Defer and distract...what does this article have to do with Trump? The fact someone tried to spin it in that direction was the basis for my comments.

And everyone knows Snopes is a left-winged site, so take it for what it is worth. Here is another aspect of what he really said:

Funny how he funded Obama who divided this country by race, religion, class, and political affiliation for him. Say goodbye to our freedoms because when the takeover is finished; making a comment about the leader like TB did will not only be not allowed, the secret police will whisk you off to never be seen again. Welcome to the new America.
Jim Griffin · March 12, 2019 at 12:13 pm
JD:

Who are you to judge anyone here? You've admitted to posting fake news just to see the reaction!

I'm certainly not from LA, though I did live there for less than a decade after moving from a decade in Virginia, and moving back to Virginia for another two decades. What's your point with this? That I am somehow not Virginian enough for your taste? More than half my life here.

What did you learn from admittedly posting fake news on these pages? One thing's for sure: You did it again!

Soros never said what you claim he said. More fake news:

Answer your own question -- why isn't Trump arresting and prosecuting the Clintons? Despite your raising the question and failing to answer it when turned around, it remains a good question for the current president.

BTW, if she destroyed the evidence (which she did not -- tried to, but drives contain residual data that survives even serial deletion -- and I support such an investigation) and cannot be prosecuted, why did you suggest ... oh, nevermind, we're looking for logic in all the wrong places with you.

You have the temerity to claim on these pages that someone with whom you merely have a disagreement must be paid to disagree with you, calling him a communist bent on destroying our country. Talk about spinning stories!
Mark House · March 12, 2019 at 11:42 am
JohnnyD - "Amid the controversy over James Comey’s firing and the Russia investigations, President Donald Trump’s critics — most notably Rep. Al Green, D-Texas — have already begun calling for his impeachment. But it could take months, if not longer, for Congress and special counsel Robert Mueller to finish their investigations into Russia’s meddling in the 2016 election and connections to Mr. Trump’s campaign. Which means the final outcome could still be a long way off.

Critics have been quick to compare the controversy surrounding the White House and Russia to the Watergate scandal that forced President Richard Nixon to resign. But the Watergate drama took longer to unfold — more than two years — than many people may remember."

It isn't over until the fat lady, or should I say fat POTUS, sings.

1979 - You had to go a long way back for that excuse.
JohnnyD · March 12, 2019 at 10:38 am
Mr. House, if Trump is guilty of something he needs to be charged. However after 2+ years of investigations Mueller could not find anything. Time to move on.

If you look into Soros; he has paid for the downfall of several countries, and he was published in a 1979 Newsweek article saying his life's goal was to bring down the US. He thought he had it in the bag with the corrupt, money grubbing Hillary in the White House. Then suddenly Trump got in the way and beat her. It explains why he is funding things like the Open Society Foundation to protest anything Trump does.

We need someone to investgate all the corruption in both parties on Capitol Hill like they have Trump. That is where the real problem exists.
JohnnyD · March 12, 2019 at 10:27 am
Oops, pleaded guilty not convicted. Cretin not creton, so sorry the i is next to o and I hit the wrong button.

So good to get a hot air blast on a chilly morning from the left-winged, liberal transplant from LA; that says he is a middle of the roader despite his posts! Knowing my post got to you made my morning!

Please explain what this article has to do with Trump. I am sure you would more than qualify for some Soros funding if you need it. Open Society Foundations is probably the place to apply.

"They" are the new Democrat Party. One has to look no further than Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and the anti-sementic Muslim to see their new agenda. Their leaders changing their stance on the wall, allowing our country to be flooded with illegals, then counting them in the census and allowing them to vote, is further proof that money and power mean more to the DNC than citizens.

Hillary destroyed all the evidence against her, so she can't be prosecuted. She could have been charged for destruction of evidence but after the secret airport tarmac meeting the feds said she did wrong but they decided not to further the investigation or press charges. The biggest mistake Trump has made is not clearing out all the Obama holdovers from office when he was sworn in.

Have great day JG!

Jim Griffin · March 12, 2019 at 9:37 am
Oops, 20 Jan 17.
Jim Griffin · March 12, 2019 at 9:34 am
The "slap on the wrist" is a clear sign he is cooperating with prosecutors in an on-going investigation, much as did Michael Flynn and Michael Cohen. I support whatever sentence prosecutors, defense attys and the judge agreed.

He was not convicted, as you falsely stated. He pleaded guilty. Oh, and it's spelled cretin.

"Soros funded trolls" -- How do you sign-up for that gig? I've never seen them so much as advertise. How well does it pay? Do you think I am one, too? If so, where's my check?

Tell us, JD: Why didn't Trump have Hillary arrested after promising he would lock her up? He should've done that, he promised he would, chanted it at rallies. Fine by me.

Is he not interested in "the truth" -- as you put it? (On 20 Jan 16 "they" became him.) Is this akin to telling us Mexico would pay for the wall? (They won't.) Or that he would fix the trade deficit? (It's gotten worse.) Etc.
Mark House · March 12, 2019 at 9:30 am
JohnnyD and Observer - Are you stating that the POTUS is innocent or that there is a plot to oust him?

Both the Clinton's should have been arrested in my opinion.
JohnnyD · March 12, 2019 at 8:27 am
Glad to see this creton was convicted. It is sad that again the judicial system only levied a slap on the wrist.

Observer- don't pay too much attention to TB. He is one of the Soros funded trolls who get on sites like this to try and spin any story into an anti-Trump rant. They aren't interested in the truth, they only want to stop Trump from interrupting the destruction of this country and their commie/socialist takeover. If they were interested in the truth Hillary would have been arrested.
Tony Bentley · March 11, 2019 at 8:42 am
Look who is calling the kettle black OBSERVER but not OBSERVANT.
Observer · March 11, 2019 at 7:21 am
Does it hurt to be this dumb, Tony?
Bonnie C. · March 10, 2019 at 9:32 am
Community service, 30 days in prison, & a $275,000 fine is a drop in the bucket to someone like this. No wonder he wasn't all that worried about breaking the law; he's having the last laugh.
Tony Bentley · March 8, 2019 at 3:34 pm
All the money in the world can't cover your stench when you are breaking the law. Take heed Mr. Trump, they're coming for you after all these years, and boy do you stink!
Wednesday, March 20
Natasha Parnian’s Darkhorse Theatre Co. presents sometimes-obscure work on intimate stages
Wednesday, March 20
Doomed tree stands over a crazy intersection that has served as a crossroads for the mundane and the historic
Tuesday, March 19
Middleburg company and partners seek tax-credit financing for $31-million development of 125 apartments