I think this is a good step in the right direction, concentrating the development up against the core (of Opal). So, it makes some sense. But this is a lot to digest on the day of the meeting, on such a big animal.
— Supervisor Chris Granger (Center District)
• Proposed uses: 100-room hotel, 175-lot RV park, medical offices, stores, two restaurants and bank.
• Where: 100 acres in 7 parcels, along east side of Route 17 about a half-mile south of Opal. Most of property, outside the service district, has agricultural zoning.
• Owner: Juniper Tree Properties LLC and Oak Tree Properties LLC of McLean, controlled by Hasan Aballah, a pediatric cardiologist from McLean.
• Tax benefit: $680,000 annually “net” to county, according to the developer's study.
• Issues: Traffic, water supply, justification for expanding service district
• Next: Supervisors voted, 5-0, Thursday to delay a vote, probably until January at the earliest.