First-grader Dempsey Ventresco created this clay bowl in art class at Greenville Elementary near New Baltimore.
• Artist: Dempsey Ventresco.
• School: Greenville Elementary.
• Artwork title: “Breakfast.”
• Medium: Clay slump bowl.
• Description of assignment: Students used slab techniques to create a clay bowl. Students used rolling pins to flatten out the clay. They applied texture to the flat clay before placing the clay into a mold, which formed the bowl shape. After the first firing the students decorated the bowls using colorful glazes, which allowed them to use their bowls. Then the bowls were fired a second time.
• Teacher: Carol Hostetter.