The 10-acre homestead at Casanova includes structures dating to 1810.
Weston farmstead open house sponsored by the Warrenton Antiquarians
The historic Weston farmstead at Casanova will be open for free, public tours Saturday, May 13.
Their open house will include an exhibit of Constance Nourse’s drawings of native flowers from the last century.
The Warrenton Antiquarian Society owns the farm museum, which includes the original two-story log cabin built in 1810 for Thomas Fitzhugh. Charles Joseph Nourse in 1859 purchased Weston and built an addition to create an L-shaped house.
When Mr. Nourse passed away in 1906, his widow, Annie Nourse, operated a school and summer camp there. Charles and Annie Nourse’s daughters, Constance and Charlotte, inherited the property when their mother died. They opened a hospitality center for the soldiers from Vint Hill during World War II, serving 11,000 meals by the end of the war.
The sisters left Weston and 10 of the original 440 acres to the Warrenton Antiquarian Society on their deaths in 1959.
Weston serves as a classic example of a completely preserved farmstead from the 19th century, with outbuildings such as a log kitchen, smokehouse, overseer’s cabin, dairy, corn crib, blacksmith shop, tool shed/workroom, two barns and a stable.