Students will get an 11-day winter break and six weekdays off in the spring of 2020.
Fauquier’s school board Monday night unanimously approved the calendar for the next two school years: 2019-20 and 2020-21.
> Calendars at bottom of story
In 2019, students will return to class on a Wednesday — Aug. 14. The schedule calls for classes to end Friday, May 29, 2020 if built-in makeup days are used.
The school system last year asked staff and parents for feedback on the proposed calendars.
Other 2019-20 calendar highlights include:
• 10 early dismissal days.
• Three parent-teacher conference times.
• A school-based “In-Service Day” on October 14 returns, with no classes for students.
• There will be no classes on Election Day, Nov. 5, a teacher workday.
• Classes will remain in session on Veterans Day, with activities scheduled at schools in honor of those who have served in the military.
• Students and most staff members will get three weekdays off for Thanksgiving. The Wednesday before Thanksgiving will be a half-day for 12-month employees.
• The first term will end on Thursday, Dec. 19 before the winter break.
• The winter break will run 11 weekdays for students and nine weekdays for most staff members (less for 12-month employees). After the New Year’s holiday, teachers will return on Jan. 2 for two workdays. Students will return the following Monday, Jan. 6.
• In addition to Thanksgiving, winter break and spring break, holidays for students and all staff are: Labor Day, Martin Luther King Jr. Day, President’s Day (a possible makeup day) and Memorial Day.
• Spring break will be six weekdays.
• Schools will use banked hours (hours that do not have to made up) for the first four makeup days. After that, May 28, 29 and Feb. 17 will be used for missed class.