• Preparing zoning interpretations and determinations.
• Overseeing zoning ordinance enforcement and approval of land development applications.
• Issuing zoning permits.
• Providing zoning analysis of rezoning, special exception and special permit applications.
• Preparing and presenting zoning ordinance variance applications to Fauquier’s board of zoning appeals.
• Preparing and presenting zoning ordinance text amendments to Fauquier’s planning commission and board of supervisors.
Before joining the community development department in 2011, Mr. Walton worked for Rinker Design Associates (2001-11), a Manassas-based engineering firm, where he focused on feasibility studies, site planning and design. Prior to that, he worked for Loudoun County (1998-2001), reviewing subdivision plans and handling zoning issues.
Mr. Walton, 43, earned a bachelor’s degree in geography, with a concentration in environmental planning, from Bloomsburg University in 1996.
He and his wife Barbara have two young children and live in Bealeton.
Fourteen people applied for the job. A committee including Community Development Director Kimberley Fogle, Planning Chief Holly Meade and Bill Downey, owner of New a Baltimore-based a construction management firm, interviewed five candidates for the job.