• Topic: Special exception permit to establish a 24-bed residential addiction recovery center on 50 acres at 6791 James Madison Highway (Route 17) just north of Warrenton.
• When: 6:30 p.m. Thursday, Dec. 20.
• Agency: Fauquier County Planning Commission.
• Where: Warren Green Building, 10 Hotel St., Warrenton.
• Applicant: Warrenton-based Fauquier Health Foundation, doing business as PATH Foundation.
• Property owners: Mark S. and Angela S. Smith.
• Zoning: Rural, with a small amount of village fronting James Madison Highway.
• Details: The PATH Foundation and Massachusetts-based Herren Wellness Group want to establish a residential “spiritual wellness” center on the property to treat up to 24 recovering drug addicts and alcoholics. The “private-pay” retreat model uses meditation, yoga, mindfulness, reiki, exercise and group and individual coaching to provide residents with skills “necessary to return to a drug- and alcohol-free full and productive life.” It would employ 12 full- and eight part-time or contract workers.
• Next: The planning commission serves as an advisory panel to the county board of supervisors, which has final authority. If the commission acts on the application Thursday, the board could conduct a public hearing and approve the project Jan. 10.