Has there been discussion — since there’s a lot of flat roof involved in this — about the possibility of rooftop solar, or maybe capturing the rainwater on the roof? It seems there might be some opportunity, if the developers are so inclined.
— Planning Commissioner Bob Lee (Marshall District)
• Topic: Rezoning application for 450,000 square feet of data center use on 60 acres at Route 28 and Gaskins Lane at Catlett.
• When: 9:30 a.m., Wednesday, Feb. 24.
• Agency: Fauquier County Planning Commission.
• Where: Warren Green Building, 10 Hotel St., Warrenton.
• Applicant/property owner: Catlett Station II LLC, Joel Barkman and John Grew.
• Details: Mr. Barkman and Mr. Grew want the site rezoned from industrial to “business park.” Phased over five to seven years, the proposal calls for 450,000 square feet of data center “development,” including two structures and three equipment yards. Construction of the first of two buildings would begin this summer, according to the applicant. Based on Fauquier’s business personal tax rate, $150 million worth of data center equipment would generate $3.45 million in revenue annually, according to the application. The Catlett Data Center Park also would create up to 40 “highly-compensated” on-site jobs.
• Next: The planning commission likely will conduct a March 18 public hearing on the project. The five-member commission serves as an advisory panel to the county board of supervisors, which has final authority.