Have you taken on more household projects during the COVID-19 pandemic? Vote!
HOME OBITUARIES NEWS OPINIONS BUSINESS STYLE CALENDAR CLASSIFIEDS
March 16, 2020

County declares emergency because of COVID-19

Centers for Disease Control
The coronavirus has prompted quarantines and other extraordinary actions around the world.
While we realize the inconvenience to the citizens of the county in taking these actions, the unprecedented nature and effects of COVID-19 require these actions be taken to protect the citizens of the county from its further spread and to ensure the continuity of governmental service to the citizens of Fauquier County during this crisis.
— County Administrator Paul McCulla
“Virtual Public Hearing”
In accordance with CDC guidance on Monday, March 16, to limit gatherings to no more than ten people in one location, Fauquier County will hold a virtual public hearing for the fiscal 2021 proposed budget and tax rates on Thursday, March 19, at 7 p.m.

Citizens may view the virtual public hearing via livestream by going to https://vimeo.com/event/25618.

To have your comments read to the board of supervisors during the budget public hearing, citizens may email their comments to: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).
Declaring a local state of emergency, County Administrator Paul McCulla took unprecedented steps Monday night because of the coronavirus pandemic .

Fauquier County “is taking a number of precautionary measures to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in the community,” Mr. McCulla said in a press release.

Those actions “will help promote and enforce social distancing while still providing services to our citizens,” he added.

For the first time in Fauquier history, citizens will not be permitted to attend the county’s annual budget public hearing.

“In response to President Trump’s urging that citizens of the United States avoid gatherings of more than 10 people, the Fauquier County Board of Supervisors will be holding a virtual public hearing on its proposed budget and tax rates” at 7 p.m. Thursday at the Warrenton Community Center at 430 E. Shirley Ave.

But citizens may view the “virtual” public hearing by clicking here.

“To have your comments read to the board of supervisors during the budget public hearing, citizens may e-mail their comments to: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address).,” Mr. McCulla said. “Because of the directive to limit gatherings to no more than ten people in one location, live citizen participation at the meeting location cannot be accommodated.”

Attendance probably will be limited to the supervisors, county staff and possibly a reporter, Mr. McCulla said.

Taking effect Monday, the county took the following actions to help prevent the spread of coronavirus:

• Closed all government meeting rooms to non-governmental meeting uses effective immediately.

• Closed all libraries effective 5 p.m. Monday. Beginning Wednesday, the Library will begin phone and curbside services at all library locations. Please visit the Fauquier County Public Library website for further details.

• Closed all parks and recreation facilities. All parks and recreation programs are cancelled effective immediately. All rental of shelters and other park locations are also cancelled immediately. County parks will remain open for passive recreation, however, all playgrounds and restrooms are closed and will remain closed.

• Sheriff’s office public events, off-duty staffing and car seat installation/inspection are temporarily suspended.

• Cancelled the board of supervisors’ budget work session at 2 p.m. Tuesday.

• Cancelled Thursday’s planning commission meeting. All matters on the March agenda will be rescheduled for the panel’s April meeting.

• Cancelled the board of zoning and appeals’ April meeting. All matters on that agenda will be taken up at the May meeting.

“In transacting business with the county, citizens are strongly encouraged to complete their transactions online or via the phone,” Mr. McCulla said. “Checks for payments may be placed in the mail rather than being paid in person or you can pay for services online.

“If you must visit a county department, please call prior to your visit. A phone directory can be accessed on our webpage.

Additionally, county staff will use “social distancing as much as possible to avoid unnecessary physical contact and help citizens via phone rather than in person when possible,” the county administrator said. “The county also has a coronavirus updates website.

“While we realize the inconvenience to the citizens of the county in taking these actions, the unprecedented nature and effects of COVID-19 require these actions be taken to protect the citizens of the county from its further spread and to ensure the continuity of governmental service to the citizens of Fauquier County during this crisis,” Mr. McCulla said.
Member comments
Jerome Fields · March 23, 2020 at 5:51 pm
401 (k) down $10,000. Call me ignorant all you want but the facts are clear. We are a ship in need of a captain and NOT the 5 time draft dodging "wartime" President. He knew back in December 2019, if only he had listened to the WHO and our own intelligence....................now it's too late.
Jerome Fields · March 20, 2020 at 4:04 pm
fmstdd · March 17, 2020 at 11:52 pm
I understand Farmer. Unfortunately I've dealt with ignorant uneducated people like him most of my life. Note how he makes an underhanded offensive comment on his first post, gets defensive on his post at 7:44 PM and then although he claims that it's okay for both of us to exercise our first amendments, he then tells me to shut the hell up.
To this gentleman or what have you that continues to be ignorant....thank you for proving me right as apparently you have quite the rep. Ignorance is bliss I guess and unlike you I see things clearly. I'll sleep well tonight after I do my duty to country and community. How will you sleep angry man? By the way...I got better things to do, so if you want your pathetic comments to fall on deaf ears...be my guest.
DonkeyFarmer · March 17, 2020 at 8:20 pm
Jerome Fields has already had offensive posts deleted by the Fauquier Now staff. He seems to be extremely angry to the point he is unstable. Using a crisis to spout your political rhetoric is pretty much the lowest of the low. Steer clear of this guy and just ignore him.
Jerome Fields · March 17, 2020 at 8:14 pm
fmstdd - It's ok for you to exercise you 1st Amendment rights but those that don't like our current leadership (??), if anyone can call it that, aren't allowed. Go bite yourself.

My ancestors arrived in this country in 1620 and have fought it ever damn war that has come our way, so shut the hell up. I'm not going to willingly hand it over to some two-bite conman that likes to play President when it suits him.
Jerome Fields · March 17, 2020 at 7:44 pm
fmstdd - "petty comments and insults" I asked a question. It's your problem if you took it otherwise. You must be new here. Go read all the comments about how great people said their 401(k)s were doing due to Trump. Wondered how they are feeling now that all, not that I really care.

P.S. We dropped off 5 dozen of eggs to the FISH, but that doesn't count since it wasn't toilet paper, you sanctimonious blowhard. Can't eat toilet paper, or maybe you would, it takes all kinds.
badelectronics · March 17, 2020 at 4:42 pm
@Hitlery: What do you have against pink hats? Have you not been to Gold Cup? You said something about 'set cars on fire' as well. Is this some type of odd projection I'm unaware of? I appreciate your erudite expectorations.
badelectronics · March 17, 2020 at 1:14 pm
Thank you for your perspicacious comments.
badelectronics · March 17, 2020 at 1:06 pm
I do. But I hope you reread what I wrote, and point out to me where I am wrong. I'd also like you to point out why asking people to,"Take care of yourselves and your neighbors" Is ignorant and classless.
fmstdd · March 17, 2020 at 12:40 pm
I'm glad you accept badelectronics
badelectronics · March 17, 2020 at 12:33 pm
Your apology is accepted.
fmstdd · March 17, 2020 at 11:23 am
I apologize for some typos
fmstdd · March 17, 2020 at 11:21 am
Bad electronics and Jerome,
Your comments in a time like this are to say the least ignorant and classless.... much like your party has been behaving for the last 3 plus years. To politicize this virus to insult fellow residents and citizens, shows you how low and repugnant the left has become. Just the other day at Walmart I saw an older couple trying to buy toilet paper, which Walmart was out off at the time. I then offered him mine because without asking his political affiliation, because it's the right thing to doiiiii in a time like this. We should be coming together as Americans and human beings, but it saddens me to see people still trying to divide us with petty comments and insults.
I'm an immigrant who came from a country that was under the rule of a communist dictatorship. We came her.e, educated ourselves, did not take government hand outside, worked hard, served in the military and law enforcement to protect Americans... period. This a time to come together but instead you chose to be a lesser person.
I'm sure there will be haters and commenters about what I just wrote... and guess what?... that's your first amendment right, but God and everyone help us if even in time of crisis, folks like you manage to continue to divide and spew hatred.
badelectronics · March 17, 2020 at 6:48 am
@Jerome: I suspect they are out and about, confused, buying guns and ammo. Bad information from social media calling this a democrat hoax. Bad information from President Trump calling this a Democrat hoax. Fox News calling this a Democrat hoax. That trilogy of misinformation will hurt a lot of people. Take care of yourselves and your neighbors. Consider a different source of news.
Jerome Fields · March 16, 2020 at 9:10 pm
What happened to all the 401(k) braggers and Trump supporters?
Saturday, May 30
Statewide cases increase 1,078 with 12 more deaths, Virginia Department of Health reports
Friday, May 29
Cost of artificial turf field, county government job openings, county census response rate and new criminal investigations
Friday, May 29
Pilot program begins in Suffolk with new service expected in populous areas later this year