Poll closed Vote!
August 27, 2019

Ruritan veteran still giving, expects nothing in return

Photo/Don Del Rosso
John Wayland recalls watching African-American students walking to school in Hume while he road the bus.
— Leeds Ruritan Club member Peter Carp
John Wayland
• Age: 89

• Home: Warrenton

• Work: President, Wayland Ford Tractor, Warrenton, until 1992 when he closed the family-owned business at Lee Highway and Blackwell Road 40 years after his father established it.

• Family: Wife, Malinda; daughter

• Education: Bachelor’s degree, dairy science, Virginia Tech, 1957; Randolph Macon Academy, 1948.

• Military service: Army, 1953-55.
After more than 55 years of service, the Leeds Ruritan Club veteran decided to move on.

“I felt like I was old enough to quit,” said John Wayland, 89. “And, it got to be too much distance (about 19 miles) to travel from Warrenton at night” to club meetings at the Leeds Episcopal Church parish hall north of Hume.

Mr. Wayland estimated he has attended close to 1,000 Leeds Ruritan meetings since 1963. He went to his last in December.

Off and on for five-plus decades, Mr. Wayland held various club positions, including president, vice president and treasurer. They required him to attend monthly membership and board meetings.

“I didn’t miss many,” he said. “I was almost always there. They could count on me being present.”

In a July 11 proclamation, the county board of supervisors acknowledged Mr. Wayland’s “retirement” from the Leeds Ruritan Club and his volunteer work for various other local groups, including the Kiwanis Club, the Mental Health Association of Fauquier County and the Foothills Housing Corp.

> Proclamation at bottom of story

About a year ago, he received Ruritan National’s highest honor — the Tom Downing Fellowship Award.

“John, in one word, is an inspiration,” Leeds Ruritan Club board member Peter Carp said. “He is just one of those people who is tireless. He just keeps giving and never expects anything in return, other than good results for the effort he’s putting in for other people.”

Mr. Carp added: “He’s a rare gentleman.”

Mr. Wayland joined the Leeds club because he grew up near Hume, wanted to give back to the community and had strong family ties to it. His father and three uncles helped establish the organization almost 70 years ago.

“It went by pretty quick,” Mr. Wayland said of his years with the club. “They kind of flew by.”

Though he misses the Leeds members, he still belongs to the Warrenton Ruritan Club, which he joined 30 years ago.

He remains active with Warrenton club because, “I enjoy the fellowship, and I’m meeting a lot of new people.”

Mr. Wayland’s public service work extends to the early 1960s when he helped found Fauquier Community Action, which focused on helping the poor, many of them African-Americans, in segregated Fauquier County.

The organization soon grew into the independent Fauquier Housing Corp. It eventually expanded to nine other counties and renamed itself Foothills Housing Corp., based in Warrenton.

His father opened Wayland Ford Tractor in 1952 in Warrenton. The son eventually took over the business, which at peak employed about 23 people.

His Fauquier Community Action efforts probably hurt the family business, Mr. Wayland said.

But, he accepted that as the price of doing the right thing.

“People probably called me a n_ _ _ _ _-lover and called me all kinds of stuff,” he said. “I don’t give a damn about that. Names don’t mean anything to me.”

Mr. Wayland, who lived on a Hume farm where he played with African-American children whose parents had worked the land, witnessed discrimination first-hand.

While white students took buses to school, African-American children walked miles to the classroom, he recalled.

“I got so irritated with that,” Mr. Wayland said with an edge to his voice. “School buses wouldn’t pick them up, and that burned me up. . . . They were great little kids.”

Tapping his head and heart, he added: “Skin color has nothing to do with what’s up here and inside the body.”

Contact Don Del Rosso at Don@FauquierNow.com or 540-270-0300.

John Wayland proclamation 0... by Fauquier Now on Scribd

Member comments
elizabethjneal2 · September 19, 2019 at 8:03 am
I admire this article for the well-researched content and excellent wording. I got so involved in this material that I couldn’t stop reading. I am impressed with your work and skill. Thank you so much. ACADEMIC WRITING SERVICE FOCUSED ON LAW AND FINANCE
elizabethjneal2 · September 19, 2019 at 3:45 am
very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so mmany interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post! cracker barrel employee
elizabethjneal2 · September 17, 2019 at 3:21 am
You have a real ability for writing unique content. I like how you think and the way you represent your views in this article. I agree with your way of thinking. Thank you for sharing. instagram video downloader
elizabethjneal2 · September 10, 2019 at 5:44 am
Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer!.. voyance sans cb
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 5:21 am
I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business. province to province movers
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 5:18 am
Please share more like that. best auto body shop near me
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 5:17 am
I appreciated your work very thanks window tinting beverly hills
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 5:12 am
Thanks for this article very helpful. thanks. printing companies nyc
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 5:08 am
Great! It sounds good. Thanks for sharing.. Custom Yacht Models
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 5:07 am
I love this blog!! The flash up the top is awesome!! locksmith service
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 5:06 am
Wonderful article, thanks for putting this together! This is obviously one great post. Thanks for the valuable information and insights you have so provided here. zoosk reviews
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 4:59 am
Great Article it its really informative and innovative keep us posted with new updates. its was really valuable. thanks a lot. Pest Control CT
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 4:57 am
Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject! what is a 401k plan
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 4:56 am
I think this is an informative post and it is very useful and knowledgeable. therefore, I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. this is luxury travel
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 4:55 am
This is really a nice and informative, containing all information and also has a great impact on the new technology. Thanks for sharing it, bridesmaid dresses
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 4:19 am
Hey what a brilliant post I have come across and believe me I have been searching out for this similar kind of post for past a week and hardly came across this. Thank you very much and will look for more postings from you. Omni Centers
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 4:18 am
I found your this post while searching for some related information on blog search...Its a good post..keep posting and update the information bridal shops
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 4:17 am
Awesome and interesting article. Great things you've always shared with us. Thanks. Just continue composing this kind of post. Atlanta DJ
elizabethjneal2 · August 29, 2019 at 4:16 am
I am definitely enjoying your website. You definitely have some great insight and great stories. situs judi bola terbaru
riveragerardd · August 28, 2019 at 2:58 am
I am inspired by this news. Gonna use online writing template at page https://noplag.com/online-writing-templates and write about this situation and my opinion on it. This gonna be published on my blog where i put my thoughts about things happening in the world today. If you wish to write something for my blog, just use Noplag writing templates and start!
Friday, September 20
Opponents dominate first hearing on Broad Run Estates plan that would transfer density and preserve most of a 73-acre farm
Friday, September 20
Tuition assistance for public employees, Leadership Fauquier volunteerism, tall tower proposed at FHS and cost to fix Town Hall after flooding
Friday, September 20
After paying $775,000 for Lee Street property in Warrenton, new owners plan venue for Catholic ceremonies