The old stone church was built in 1834 and dedicated in September of that year. The original building was built so well that for more than 100 years the building stood practically untouched.
In 1888, two towers with vestibules and a connecting gallery were added. In 1967, a separate building that contained a small social hall, classrooms bathrooms and an office was added.
In 1997, Bethel United Methodist Women funded the building of an outdoor pavilion. And in 2006, the sanctuary was renovated and a new social hall was built connecting the original stone building, the 1967 building and the pavilion into one large facility.
Bethel Church has remained open, and people have been worshiping in the original sanctuary since that first day in 1834.
Beginning at 2:30 p.m. Saturday, September 14, there will be tours of the building, a history presentation, games for children and an old-fashioned hymn sing, followed by a picnic supper provided by the United Methodist Men and Women.
On Sunday, September 15, there will be one worship service at 10 a.m. with previous pastors sharing their memories of Bethel.
And following the service will be one of Bethel’s specialties – a covered dish luncheon. Meats and beverages will be provided. Just bring a dish for the table.
All are invited to attend these very special events.